2019-20 was a year of consolidation for Thousand 4 £1000. While continuing to provide practical support for a growing number of refugees and migrants in Brighton & Hove, we developed a new website, strengthened our internal policies and procedures and made productive connections with other local organisations.
T4K is run entirely by a dedicated team of volunteers. We represent a community effort to provide a safe place to live for people who need a hand to make a new start. Anyone who can spare the price of a cup of coffee each month can be part of it.
In 2019-20, we:
- Raised £28,241 from regular monthly donations, averaging around £5 per person per month
- Used this money to provide homes for 16 adults and 4 children
- Helped a further 20 people with living costs, legal fees and other costs of settling into life in a new country
- Made 8 interest-free loans to help people renew visas and claim settlement in the UK
- Organised 3 community events, which raised £4,888, and received £13,283 in other donations and grants
- Responded swiftly to the Covid-19 pandemic, setting up a crisis fund which was later used to help a total of 50 asylum seekers and other migrants survive the crisis
Read more in our full Annual Report 2019-20